US Expats Need Specialized Investment and Tax Advice

by | Jan 30, 2024

US expats’ taxes on investments and income require specialist knowledge

US expats must declare their taxes annually to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and are subject to US tax on their global assets no matter where in the world they reside. 

The United States is one of only two countries in the world that taxes its non-resident citizens on their worldwide income. The other country is Eritrea, in eastern Africa. ( 

The tax rates for non-resident citizens in the United States are the same as for resident citizens, with a progressive tax system that ranges from 10% to 37% depending on income level. However, non-resident citizens may be eligible for certain exclusions and deductions that can reduce their tax liability. 

Legal reporting requirements

Under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), certain U.S. taxpayers holding financial assets outside the United States must report those assets to the IRS. There are serious penalties for not reporting these financial assets.  

Under the law known as the Bank Secrecy Act, US citizens must report certain foreign financial accounts, such as bank accounts, brokerage accounts and mutual funds, to the Treasury Department and keep certain records of those accounts. This involves filing a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).  

Ultimately, the IRS will learn of expats’ accounts, as all financial institutions are now obliged to disclose the presence of all US-connected clients. 

US expat financial management requires a specialist

With the specific taxation rules American expats face, their investments – and the gains, dividends, interest, distributions, etc. – must all be taken into consideration in regard to taxation. 

Specific, professional advice for portfolio construction and management is essential for US residents living abroad. 

Less than a handful of companies have the appropriate SEC authorizations to manage US-connected clients. Aisa International, based in Prague, Czech Republic, is registered with the SEC and partners with  LGT and Evelyn Partners, two top tier wealth management firms, to provide the specialized US services American expats need.  

Cover all your bases

Aisa Group, LGT and Evelyn Partners US Service have many years of experience.  

The investment advice, US tax advice, and – notably – all of the legal tax reporting to the US IRS is part of the service.

Evelyn Partners is a founding member of the international accounting network CLA Global, so can offer clients a truly international service. Tax advice is taken very seriously, as they are criminally responsible if a client fails to pay US tax based upon their advice. 

Next steps

You are encouraged to schedule a free initial consultation with Aisa International to discuss your financial concerns as a US expat. Should you need the US services and tax reporting offered by our partners, LGT and Evelyn Partners, we will be happy to make that introduction and add their services to the investment portfolio management you need. 

The views expressed in this article are not to be construed as personal advice. Therefore, you should contact a qualified, and ideally, regulated adviser in order to obtain up-to-date personal advice with regard to your own personal circumstances. Consequently, if you do not, then you are acting under your own authority and deemed “execution only”. The author does not accept any liability for people acting without personalised advice, who base a decision on views expressed in this generic article. Importantly, where this article is dated then it is based on legislation as of the date. Legislation changes but articles are rarely updated, although sometimes a new article is written; so, please check for later articles or changes in legislation on official government websites, as this article should not be relied on in isolation.

Follow us on Social Media

Post written by:

Chris Lean

In the UK he worked with accountants as an independent financial adviser, qualified as a Chartered Financial Planner and became an examiner for the Chartered Insurance Institute. He also qualified as a European Financial Planner and specializes in investment and pension advice to clients.

Aisa International is the only financial advice service company specialising in advice for expats that is regulated as a Securities Trader in the Czech Republic, USA, and UK.